Sunday, December 6, 2009

Day 6

December 6th...
Happy Mini Christmas

I heard about St. Nick Day this year for the first time and definitely wanted to start it in our house. It's just another fun thing to do during the holidays. And another reason for me to buy more crap, and spend more money :)

On December 5, the Eve of St. Nicholas Day, each child puts one empty shoe outside their bedroom door or on a staircase before they go to sleep. The following morning of December 6, the children awake to find that St. Nick has filled their footwear with candy and small presents (if the children have been good) or coal (if not). For these children, the relationship between St. Nick and Santa Claus is not clearly defined, although St. Nick is usually explained to be a helper of Santa. The tradition of St. Nick's Day is firmly established in the Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Cleveland and St. Louis communities, with parents often continuing to observe the day with their adult children. Widespread adoption of observing the tradition has spread among the German, Polish, Belgian and Dutch communities throughout Wisconsin, and is carried out through modern times.

We didn't get home until 2:30 this morning.
My original plan was to wrap everything and have it looking all cute.
That obviously didn't happen.
The CD is even in upside down.
I guess I was really tired.

1 comment:

Caytee said...

What a cute idea! And yep...definitely stole the 25 days of Christmas idea from you! What can I say?